Interesting. I think this particular piece of the
implementation of URI::Escape is just a little too
fragile. I had problems until I doubled up the
backslashes. That was with version 3.13 of URI::Escape.
Then, I upgraded to the current 3.20 version and find
that it broken again: only the backslash for \w needs to
be doubled, the one for slash has to be single. You
probably have some other version for which it's broken in
yet a different way.

Here's a tested version -- written as a bash script.
It is tested against Revision 3.20 of URI::Escape.

#! /bin/bash

perl -MHTML::Entities -MURI::Escape -ne \
 'chomp;print qq{<A href="http://host/},
 scalar uri_escape( $_, "^\\w-.\/"),
 qq{">}, encode_entities($_), qq{</A>\n};'

I had to put back a "^" that had been omitted in what you
said you used. The name "host" is just a placeholder, by
the way, you'll need to change that. And there's also the
problem of DocumentRoot not usually being the same as /
that you may need to do something about.