Thanks for the feedback.  My ignorance of Perl
is, unfortunately, almost perfect so I'm not
immediately able to make much sense of the problems
I had when (after repairing the Entitities typo) I
attempted the suggested command.  I said:

   find / | perl -MHTML::Entities -MURI::Escape -ne 'chomp;print qq{<A
href="http://host/},uri_escape( $_, "\\w-.\\/"),qq{">},encode_entities($_),"</A>\n"'

...and saw:

   uri_escape: Unmatched [ before HERE mark in regex m/([ << HERE \w-.\\/ at (eval 1)
line 1, <> line 1.
    at -e line 1

Any clues?

(Sorry about the long lines)