On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 16:45, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> Ok, here's one for all you bash experts out there.
> I have a line in a script that does this:
>
> lspci -d1134:1 | /usr/bin/wc -l
>
> The idea of course is to get the number of our boards in the
> system.  the funny thing is, if I log in as root I get
>       2    /* Note the 6 blank spaces before the "2" */
>
> if I log in as my self or ssh into the machine and su to root, I get
> 2 /* note NO space before the "2" */
>
> if I ssh into the machine and "sh - " to root I get
>       2    /* Note the 6 blank spaces before the "2" */
> again.  What's up.
>
> I did clean up the spaces with sed so this is not a functional problem.

  Okay, do I get a case of [root] beer for figuring this out?  ;-)
Check the setting of your POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable.

# lspci -d1134:1 | /usr/bin/wc -l
      0
# export POSIXLY_CORRECT=1
# lspci -d1134:1 | /usr/bin/wc -l
0

  It's in the man^Winfo page.  (Note to others as annoyed as I am with
the FSF's trend away from man pages towards info pages -- for vi type
bindings, use pinfo instead of info availabe at
http://zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl/~pborys/ and bundled with Red Hat.)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator