Hello Jeremiah, see answers below.
HTH, Pascal.
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr

> Le 4 nov. 2017 à 20:44, Jeremiah Breeden <jeremiah.bree...@gmail.com> a écrit
> :
>
> I tried your makefile change but it didn't work.
Well I forgot some changes indeed, see previous e-mail with full patch.

> I did what Jeff Carter suggested and got through that step but now I am
> failing on:

> cmd.exe /c "mkdir \home\Jere\gnoga-code-2017_11_02\build\lib\gnat"
> A subdirectory or file \home\Jere\gnoga-code-2017_11_02\build\lib\gnat
> already exists.
> make[1]: *** [../src/mkfile/install.mk:93:
> /home/Jere/gnoga-code-2017_11_02/build/lib/gnat/zanyblue.gpr] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> '/home/Jere/gnoga-code-2017_11_02/deps/zanyblue/src'
> make: *** [Makefile:145: zanyblue] Error 2
>
> I had similar errors for
> \home\Jere\gnoga-code-2017_11_02\build\lib\zanyblue
> and
> \home\Jere\gnoga-code-2017_11_02\build\include\zanyblue
>
> Adding the directories for those last two seemed to placate the make (though
> counter intuitive since the directories didn't exist), however that last one
> does not go away.  Did something change in Zanyblue?  These type of errors
> are new to me.
>
> Just trying the command:   cmd.exe /c "mkdir
> \home\Jere\gnoga-code-2017_11_02\build\lib\gnat"
>
> manually leads to the same error.  I think it is a poorly formed command for
> windows (the \ is probably interpreted as an escape)?  The directory isn't
> actually there but it thinks it is for some reason.
>
> Using unix style slashes makes the command work (manually) in mingw64.  I
> have no clue how it works in cygwin.  I don't, however, know how to fix the
> zanyblue compilation to use unix slashes instead.
>
> So right now I am dead in the water for building until I can figure this part
> out.  Still looking around though.

According the (complex) makefiles of Zanyblue, directories should only be
created if they don't already exist with a rule as for instance:
$(INSTALL_INCDIR):
        $(call MKDIR,$(INSTALL_INCDIR))

So I wonder about make tool, here is the one I get:
cmd$ make -v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.3.0

What is yours?