> Od: "Tomas Kuliavas" <to...@users.sourceforge.net>
> Komu: gnome-i18n@gnome.org
> Datum: 13.05.2010 19:21
> Předmět: Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator
>You want to run your translation in cathedral style, but you don't have
>enough resources for that. Bazaar wins against cathedral in long term.
>Initial bazaar translation quality is worse, but it improves over time and
>allows larger number of contributors. Your single translation quality
>might be better, but when translation team success depends on your free
>time, you and your translation team lose.
>
>Your team loses like X11 lost n years ago.

We have been discussing here for almost a day and you came and described the
situation in one paragraph :)
It's as you say at least in my opinion. That's why I provided a comparison with
the Czech team because the Czech team works as a bazaar. When I started
translating for GNOME I picked up gedit. No one wanted me to prove any skills
or considered me unskilled. My first translation was commited quickly. It
didn't have to be a great translation. But in the next version, I went through
it again and when I had to give up the module and others took it and I'm pretty
sure they improved it again.
The bazaar way is more vulnerable to short-term bugs, but in a long term, it
works well. I think the Czech translations of GNOME is a good proof. They
didn't have to be great in the past, but they definitely get better over time
although the rules are very free. And it's viable. In the Czech team,
translators come and go, but statistics and quality go up.
The cathedral style they are using in the Slovak team is not viable. It's not
actually a secret. Everyone can see it on statistics. It's not a problem of the
last year as Marcel is trying to imply. There has been dissatisfaction for at
least two years. Just the intensity is getting higher. Incremental changes has
apparently no (significant) results. And because Marcel is not willing to do
any fundamental changes it's not a surprise that others brought up a change on
the coordinator position.

BTW I would not bring up Launchpad as an example of the bazaar way. Launchpad
is an extreme. While Vertimus is only for translators Lauchpad is
multifunctional. People come there to file bugs, write wishes etc. and they are
just few clicks from translating single strings. Anyway, we don't have any
problems with quality on Launchpad in Czech as far as I know.

Jiri