I agree with Florian that this could be very beneficial for the
Portuguese team. Even though there are differences (similar to en_US
and en_GB), the Orthographical Agreement (AO-90) helps by making
uniform a lot of words across Lusophone countries (Like Brazil and
Portugal). So, with hard work to find the proper localization (l10n)
and with cooperation of other natives from the team, I believe the
differences might not be a problem and this can be a great boost for
the Portuguese team.

FWIW, I can tell that Juliano has a great domain of (Brazilian)
Portuguese language: He reported many small by important language
details I missed in the Brazilian Portuguese translation of
gnome-control-center/mutter/gnome-shell.

I'd be happy to help on any technical difficulties he comes through.

P.s.: The GNOME Brasil Telegram group has some Portugueses (from
Portugal) some time now, and one just now asked on how to help with
pt_PT translated (yay, one more contributor!)

Cheers,
Rafael Fontenelle