On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Aniruddha <mailingdotl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <s...@ramkrishna.me>
> wrote:
> > The course is already set and ship has left the dock, we can't turn back
> > now.  Your changes effectively mean reversing 2 years of design and work.
> > Try it for a week with an open mind, watch the videos, put in bugs on
> things
> > that you feel are interaction problems.  When you invest in the community
> > then you'll have a [greater] voice.
> >
> That the ship has left is no argument. To use your analogy; It better
> better to return to the harbor and fix the broken design  then to sink
> at full sea because of design faults. I have watched all video's tried
> it on my laptop and came to the conclusion that for me the design was
> broken by default because of the way the activities work. I like
> Gnome, like I said I have used it for years and I would to continue to
> use it. That's why I take take the time to explain why Gnome Shell in
> it's current form doesn't work for me.

The only reason it is broken is that it didn't meet your particular need at
this moment.  There is nothing broken about the design.  As many can attest
on this mailing list a lot of us do like the shell for what it does once you
adjust yourself to it.  If you believe that the fact that you have to adjust
as broken then I don't know what to tell you other than to try it for a
prolonged amount of time.  It took me two days to re-adjust.  I use it at
work in an enterprise environment with a lot of terminals, web browser
windows, mail application, music player, twitter.. IM , you name it.  It's
all running on separate workspaces and I switch between them seamlessly.  I
work in a heavily command line driven environment and it works much better
than GNOME 2 did.  I expect that with extensions it will grow even more
useful.

All we can offer you on this mailing list is that you give us an interaction
that you have trouble doing in GNOME and we will try to help you.

FYI - GNOME Journal just released their latest issue, and they have two good
articles on the history of how GNOME Shell was developed.  Read it.
http://www.gnomejournal.org/

sri