>> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Jeffrey B. Reed wrote:
>>
>> > I did however notice that ghostscript 5.10 includes jpeg support.
>> > Would jpeg files be a better choice for the web documentation since
>> > there is a direct translation from ps to jpeg?
>>
>> <delurk> Since nobody has jumped in here ...
>> Even if they are more work, gifs are preferable for Lilypond's web
>> documentation. Jpegs are good for photos, but will show ringing &
>> similar artifacts on sheet music.

On the other hand, the GNU project prefers JPEG images over GIF images
due to a copyright problem with the GIF format (for more details, check
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html).

Does the PNG image format meet the criteria (easy to generate from PS,
having no "ringing and other artifacts on sheet music", unhindered by
copyright problems, and (of course) widely supported by popular browsers)?