Dominique,

I am running NT Server with 64 Megs of physical memory and 192 Meg of
swap.  I eye-balled the Windows-NT Task Managers perfomance meter
during a compile of bar-grav.cc and it took ~10 meg of memory just for
the compile.  Kind of suprising actually.  These are the steps I took:

o Assuming you have run configure from within lilypond source
  directory
o edit <lily-source-dir>/config.make
  CXX=g++ -v
o fire up the Windows-NT Task Manager and select the performance tab
o Figure out your baseline memory usage by eye-balling the memory
  meter. Mine was running steady at ~47.5 Meg. (I have a lot of
  network services running.  Yours hopefully is lower.)
o cd <lily-source-dir>/lily
o touch bar-grav.cc
o make out/bar-grav.o > make.log 2>&1
o watch the Windows-NT Task Manager's performance meter
o mail us back the file make.log.  This will help us determine version
  etc of your compiler
o also in a command shell, a bash shell is fine, type:
  pstat > pstat.log
o mail us back this also.  This takes a snap shot of your memory
  configuration along with other things.

I also ran the procedure on a lilypond link.  It took a whooping ~20
Meg.  I hope this has been helpful.  I will be away until Thursday.
So happy hunting and keep me informed.

--
Jeffrey B. Reed
[EMAIL PROTECTED]