patches as recomended in PATCHES.txt, but I have some
   problems.

   I am not sure where the problem is, but I guess maybe the
   parameters for ./configure is causing the trouble.

   I am running Debian 2.0 where I can install as root, and
   wonder if somebody can suggest some parameters for
   ./configure. I currently use

   ./configure --enable-tex-prefix=/usr/lib/texmf,

   and have no problems to use lilypond when after making,
   installing and running mktexlsr, but I get some
   errormessages when doing  make diff

   I unpack the tar-files in ~/usr/src.

Do you have a ~/usr/src/{test,patches,releases} directory?

   Tom Cato Amundsen

   Visit XOOM for FREE home pages, email, web software, clip art and MORE!
   http://www.xoom.com