[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > I use "t2" cyrrillic package, so T2A encoding; dunno wether it is done through
> > macros or plain 8 bit ( macros, i guess). Also i use psCyr fonts package with
> > some free fonts, namely facmr6ar in it.
> > All the thing is in one large file, on which i call mudela-book;
> > then i do
> >     cd out; for i in *.tex ; do { cat $i | sed s/cmr8/facmr6ar/ >$i.new &&
> >     mv -f $i.new $i && tex \&cyrtex $i; }; done
> > then i call mudela-book second time && dvips finishes the soup.
> > Oh, and in /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm resides symlinc to facmr6ar metric,
> > but under name od cmr8.tfm ( size of Lyrics).
> > This is horrible hack, it doesn't allow for ideal conforming between lyrics &
> > notes.
>
> It is easy to add another text style in Lilypond that automates this
> procedure. The only problem is that the naming convention of your
> font files  isn't exactly the same as the standard fonts (having the
> size at the end of the name), which means the patch would include more
> than a single line of code.

I really have no clue about encodings and TeX fonts, so I am not sure
how this should be done really.  I welcome any patches that solve this
in a clean fashion.

> I think that Han-Wen and Jan are on a leave this week. I think I know
> how this could be implemented but unfortunately I don't have any
> spare time this week. I'm afraid you have to do it with Gimp at
> the moment.

Yep, but we're back from skiing.  I have quite a big backlog of work
here, so don't expect too much from {me|us} the coming two weeks.

> > P.S. in 1.27, i could make small latex file, launch russian support, then say
> > \begin{document} \input texfile \end{document}, and all the russian letters were
> > there. but this doesn't work with 1.33 ( tried and tested on old files).
>
> Aha, the problem is the new TeX code generation for changing fonts.
> (The explanation below is mostly intended for Han-Wen and Jan)
> Before, the font was changed with macros declared separately for
> pure TeX and LaTeX, but now all the fonts are declared directly in
> the generated code using the low-level TeX commands. This circumvents
> the fontencoding mechanism of LaTeX and is a potential source of
> problems also for us users of the Latin-1 character set.
> I think it still works since the inputencoding latin1 is
> declared by ly2dvi, but it still means that e.g. an o with
> umlaut is typeset as a combination of the two symbols 'o' and
> 'umlaut' instead of as a single character, as would be the case
> if fontencoding OT1 had been used. This shouldn't give any
> difference in layout, though. One of the main argument for using
> fontencoding OT1 is for the hyphenation mechanism to work, an
> argument that's clearly irrelevant in our application. Yet we
> see the problem for August.

Hmm.  Put it into TODO.

> Another thing: the cmr_init dictionary should be user configurable
> (in Guile code?) instead of hard-coded in lookup.ly.

Yep.  (Go ahead!)