I thought I'd send this to the group in spite of the embedded gifs: they are very small, so nobody should mind even if they're using a modem.  Simliarly, I apologise for the HTML which I'd normally not do to you 8-)

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Uhm, its gzipped ps, but gv will unzip it for you on the fly.
You'll need  http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond/out-www/lily.ps too
(we'll fix this).

That's good... at least I can view it now.  I must say that a lot of things have been fixed before there we've even written a byte of code, which is encouraging.  Since we have loads of problems working on the musicological side of our project, we really wanted to leave the typesetting to the experts (this means you 8-)  There are a few things I've put below...

What else do you mean by 'printable'?

I mean you can lpr thing.ps and it comes out of the printer!  Still, I can view things with ghostview which is quite good enough for the moment.

MUP has left a reasonable space between the quaver beams and the text, and the words are spaced reasonably.

The lilypond equivalent has a collision between the words and the beams, and the words are not really spaced meaningfully.  There is a missalignment earlier on which makes the words wrong, too, which might explain it, but not to worry since I realise you were doing a rush job for demo purposes.  The point is the collision.  I think the word error does scream "I need WYSIWYG" doesn't it?  You would never have made that error with some sort of WYSIWYG, would you?

this is the sort of thing (from p5 of standschen) I was talking about with respect to ties.  The place it occurred with ties rather than slurs has been fixed (it was the C minor prelude from the 48 -- at the end -- but that piece still has strange placement of whole-bar rests which I thought were convetionally centred in the bar?).  They all go the same way, and aren't parallel (although you could argue that is correct with the notes printed here) which makes it look a bit strange.

Another collision (on page 6)

This is from a Bach suite... this is a bug, right?  I own a 'cello, but I've never seen notation like this before (not in Bach, anyway!).  I'm not being ignorant, am I?

As I said, I had to look quite a lot harder to find these buglets than when I first found lilypond, which proves things are getting better all the time.

Nick/

--
Lecturer in Electronic and Electrical Engineering