[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > try to pull the resulting documentation into my own setup, or to try
> > to contribute to the tarball directly so that the result of running
> > "make website" is my fancier page.  if we were to go through with
> >
> I guess there are three approaches:
>
>     1 handmake a whole new website, copy and incorporate parts
>       of lily's website as it is 'now'.
>     2 make a static frontend that is in effect a redo of all
> 'index.html'
>        files that are now in the website, so that examples and doco
>        are always up to date
>     3 make a new target 'fancywebsite'
>
> Somehow i've got the feeling that we should be doing either 1 or 3.
> Option 2 seems to be a recipy for desaster, missing links etc.
> I would hope we could do 3; obsolete webpages are almost as
> bad as webpages full of broken links.

I am against extending the current website-in-tarball: it is a recipe
for disaster, because we maintain the tarball, and Jeff must maintain
the sources of the website.  Moreover, it makes lilypond depend on
even more programs.  And I don't see what the point is including a
bulky "fancy" website into to the source  code.

I think option 2 is the best, with the stipulation that the number of
links between the static and the dynamic website should be as low as
possible.

Option 2 does not constrain Jeff to the (possibly) awkward directory
structure of the LilyPond tarball.

> > registering lilypond.org as has been suggested in the past, what would
> The biggest problem is getting another nameserver, apparently.  As

No: the biggest problem is getting a dependable and fully legal
webserver on the net for a reasonable price.