>> "I nearly don't dare to mention the little notes (German:
>> 'Stichnoten') that are sometimes printed at the end of a long rest
>> for one instrument, which show the notes of a different instrument
>> to help the player to realize the end of the rest..."
>
> You can put these in using
> \property Voice.fontsize = "-1"
> then revert to (the default)
> \property Voice.fontsize = "0"
> for the real entry.

Yes, thank you, I figured this out already.
I was mentioning it in the context of 'automatic part separation',
like it's done e.g. in the Coriolan example; coriolan.ly
produces the whole score, while xxx-part.ly produces the music just
for instrument xxx, using the same source xxx.ly.

Now, in the big score where every instrument is included, you have
obviously no need for 'Stichnoten' (sorry, what's the English word?).
I guess one would have to enter them into the part and have some
switch make them invisible or not, depending on you producing the
whole score or the instrument part. hmm...

        Dirk.