> Another problem is the phrase 'sempre pi\`u p', where I want the
> 'p' to be in the same font as if I use \p.

If you include the tex file lilypond-1.1.xx/tex/dyndefs.tex,
you can write "sempre pi\`u \\dynp".
You can include a tex file by:
\header{
latexheaders = "\\input dyndefs";
}
if you use ly2dvi.

> Btw: is there anywhere an explanation about the different methods
> of beam/stem positioning (damped, beam_dir_algorithm? (maybe even
> a pointer into the source?)
I'm afraid the best answer so far is
 >> grep beam_dir_algorithm lily/*

> In many of the printed music I own, the sign for long rests (the block
> in the middle, which LilyPond uses e.g. for a 3-bar-rest), is used
> for rests longer than 9 bars. Shorter rests are composed of the signs
> for 1-, 2- and 4-bar-rests, e.g. 5-bar=4-bar+whole,
> 7-bar=4-bar+2-bar+whole. Do you intend to implement this?

Yes you can find a comment about it in lily/multi-measure-rest.cc.
This should be customizable with a property setting.

> I mused a bit on the production of single instrument parts and
> partitures, like it's illustrated in the Coriolan example.
> Indications of tempo (like Allegro or pi\`u mosso), at least in
> many of the chamber music works I've got, are written on top of
> every staff group in the partiture, i.e. above the piano part
> and above the strings part. In the single voice parts, it must be
> written for every instrument! Is there some construct (switching
> of contexts, maybe) in mudela which provides for this?
> I nearly don't dare to mention the little notes (German:
> 'Stichnoten') that are sometimes printed at the end of a long
> rest for one instrument, which show the notes of a different
> instrument to help the player to realize the end of the rest...

I did most of this in the Ouverture by Gade included in the
mutopia/N.W.Gade/ directory.
The trick is to define a separate voice with the tempo indications
or 'Stichnoten' or whatever you want and then include it
only in the score or in the parts or wherever you want it.
See for example how I use the \marks and \flautohelp in
different ways in score.ly and parts.ly.
So, there's no need for a preprocessor as Tom suggested.
(Unfortunately, it can be difficult to process the
score because of some bugs in current Lilypond, but
they should be solved in 1.1.44.)

    /Mats