> > 3. Notes centred above/below lyrics rather than left-aligned.
>
> This used to work by setting
> \property LyricVoice.textalignment = \center
> but I think this feature has been removed. It would be easy to
> reintroduce it again.
>
> > 4. It would be very nice to be able to build some kind of
> phrasing into the
> > lyrics of hymns, etc, so that the first words of a phrase
> are left aligned
> > with each other, the last words are right aligned, and the
> words in between
> > are centred.
>
> Once we have the the alignment property implemented, you could
> change it from syllable to syllable if necessary. I don't really
> see what you want, is it something that could be automized
> even further?

A textAlignment property would be splendid. Setting the alignment
manually syllable by syllable would be not be a problem.

Perhaps I need to make it clear what I mean about phrasing.

I am talking about songs with several verses with the verses listed
one beneath another.

The ideal, as I see it, would have different alignment for words and
notes.  I'll try to illustrate:

note
posn   x  x    x   x    x    x   x   x    x    x   x      x   x    x
        A- way  in   a   man- ger, no crib for  his bed,  The  lit- tle ...
        Be near me, Lord Je-  sus, I  ask  thee to  stay  Close by  me ...
word  ^   ^    ^   ^    ^    ^   ^   ^    ^    ^     ^  ^     ^    ^
align

Most of the words should be centred around the same horizontal
position as the corresponding note. But the first words of the phrase
should be left aligned with each other and the last words of the
phrase should be right aligned with each other. But we still should
have the note lining up with the centre of the words. We don't want
the note corresponding to the first word of a phrase to be
left-aligned with the word, or there will be a longer than necessary
gap between that and the next note. Similarly the last note of a
phrase should not be right-aligned with the words or it will be too
far from the note preceeding it, and much too near the first note of
the next phrase.

Clearly this is only going to be an issue for songs that list multiple
stanzas one below another. With a single line of words they can all
just be centred under the notes.

Glen Prideaux.