[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > This hasn't changed a bit over the last few versions.  You are perhaps
> > misled by the fact that if a note comes first (like in
> >
> > \score {
> >   \context Staff { \notes \relative c' { c1 < c1 d > } }
> > }
> >
> > ), the <c1 d> gets sent to a Voice in stead of a staff.
>
> Okay, I've now done as you said, but it still looks wrong:
>
> \score {
>   \context Staff <
>     \context Voice = one { \notes \relative c' { c4 d e f g2 g } }
>     \context Voice = two { \notes \relative c' { a4 b c d e2 f } }
>   >
> }

You are missing something: there are two kinds of collisions.

* If two noteheads are too close on the same stem, then one of them has
  to be flipped horizontally.

  example:  \context Voice { <c1 d> <c4 d>  }

* If two chords are too close, then they have to be moved
  horizontally.

  \context Staff <
  \context Voice = one { \stemdown c1 c4 }
  \context Voice = two { \stemup d1 d4  }

As you can see, separate voices and a stem direction are needed in the
second case.  In the first case the heads have to be on the same stem
(ie. in the same Voice).

With whole notes, one cannot see the difference between 1. and 2., but
it still exists (Whole notes have invisible stems.)