On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 04:34:36PM +0200, Michael Krause wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
> > So the problem is that Michael's example doesn't fall into any of
> > these two cathegories, since it's got two different voices but
> > no explicit stem directions. I definitely think that also this
> > case should be handled by the collision handling. However, I'm not
> > sure what it should do.
> >
> > Micheal, what output did you expect?
> >
> >  |          |            |
> >  ||         |            |
> > O |   or   O|    or     O    ?
> >  O           O           O
>
> I would expect case 2 or 3, depending on the vertical location of the
> note heads, i.e.

[...]
> Case (a): One stem up, the other one down -- can't be merged, so both
> notes are moved a bit.
>
> Case (b): Both stems up -- drawing both of them would be overkill,
> attaching both notes to the same stem is right thing to do here IMHO
> (the same for "both stems down" case).

IMHO, the second case is musically different from the other two
cases, because it denotes a chord, whereas the other two
cases are used to describe notes of two distinct voices, playing at
the same time (in a more horizontal, polyphonic context).
If two voice contexts are explicitly created in the source,
then two stems should be displayed, I think.

Just $0.02...

Dirk Lattermann