>Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: For example Brahms Klavierstücke Op. 118,
>> > Nummer 1, Intermezzo (a minor), Henle Urtextausgabe. In the first
>> > full measure an 8'th note broken a minor chord starts in the left
>> > hand and continues in the following measure in the right hand. The
>> > whole figure has a common phrazing slur moving from the lower to the
>> > upper staff along with the figure.
>> >
>> > I suppose this is meant by 'slurs crossing staves'. This feature is
>> > supported by MusiXTeX.
>>
>> Yes, but now give me an example, where there is no voice (with notes)
>> crossing along with the slur -- which was the original question.
>
>Unfortunately I haven't archived the original question. I was taking your
>quotation of it as my point of departure and interpreted it as analogogous
>to the Brahms example. I can't  present you to examples (I don't recollect
>any just now) of slurs moving from one staff to another without any notes
>doing so. I presume that the original question contained such an example.

The Brahms example is a good one and is really what I originally meant (I'm
not sure what Han-Wen meant by 'slur with no voice').  I don't know that I
meant 'slur' so much as 'phrase mark' (although, aren't they really
analagous to each other?)...  The example that I gave (which is attached
again to this email) is fairly common in the literature where a figure
starts in one hand and ends in the other.  And LilyPond can already typeset
across staves, it's just that you have to resort to an unbelievable amount
of trickery to get things to look right (as you can see in the example).
It's an awful lot of work (and not very readable) just to get phrase marks
in the music--there has to be a better way of doing this (such as the
suggestion I made of a special interstaff phrase character, unless someone
has a better idea)!

-- Shamus

HouseOnTheOcean.ly