On Tuesday, 5 October 1999, Matthew Hiller writes:

> * Greater cross-platform usability.

Are you sure, does that also hold for free development?  I guess you're
going through a lot of trouble before you have a java development
environment set-up?  Also I thought there is no free AW/Swing?

I don't know too much about Java, maybe someone can enlighten me.  Last
week I asked our local Java guru about the best Java for Linux, and
I was pointed to www.blackdown.org.  They do have some java stuff there,
but it's binary releases only (and the don't even have one for my
achitecture).

Apropos cross-platform usability: an environment that's already available,
or very easy to install on linux/unix boxes scores more points than
the availability/maturity of a windows option, imo.  How many free software
developers use windows?  And, we're only talking about a prototype anyway.

> Disadvantages:
>
> * Slowness
>
> * Java's not as cool
>
>       Hmmm. More discussion on the matter while I think things over is
> definitely encouraged.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/