[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > > Another thing that I don't understand att all is the context/translate
> > > stuff.  It's pretty hard to realize what contexts LilyPond will
> > > automatically insert in my score.  If I have a \context StaffGroup <
> > > \context Void < ... > >, it will add a Staff etc. And somewhere it
> > > seems to add an OrchestralScore or something also.
> >
> > Yes it's messy. At least it would be nice if Lilypond could
> > output the full context structure for the score in some
> > easily readible form.
>
> Yes, that would be very helpful.

You can try running lilypond with --debug, but you have to edit
.dstreamrc to filter the information. ( a sample dstreamrc is provided
with the Lilypond tarball)

I could make a Context_structure_engraver that would print the
structure right within the music -- or perhaps dump it onto stdout.
Would you like that?

> I can see from the above that I don't understand anything.  What does
> it actually mean when I write \context Staff in my score?  How is the
> identifier "Staff" used, and how does it correspond to context
> definitions?  I guess I should RTFM again, but it didn't help much
> last time.

You know the doco is available from the Web? See

     http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/Documentation/out-www/index.html

(BTW, I added a --no-pictures option to mudela-book; that should work
around your pnmcrop problems)

> I guess I'd be much more comfortable with a scheme interface to all
> this.  But then again, I have a M.Sc. in Computer Science...

:-)