    Jan> How much work is a trick like this?

see below.  it's very cumbersome, but not impossible.  my question now
is, should i go ahead and use this method in the dozens of spots in
this score where i need it, or will i regret it later when i upgrade
my lily and it no longer works, or when there's a much simpler way of
doing it?

according to han-wen:

    han-wen> Please don't use this Scheme hacking unless you have a
    han-wen> good reason.  Support for the \property textExtraOffset
    han-wen> will not go into LilyPond in this form.  I think
    han-wen> extra-offset will stay - but perhaps I'll change the name

if i can, i'd like to go ahead with working on this today, but should
i wait for either of the above reasons?

#(set! generic-thread-properties
        (append!
         generic-thread-properties
         (list
          (cons "Text_item"
           (list
            (list 'textExtraOffset pair? 'extra-offset)
           )
          )
          (cons "Script"
           (list
            (list 'scriptExtraOffset pair? 'extra-offset)
           )
          )
         )
))

  \times 4/7 {s8.
   <
    \context Thread = ta {
      \property Thread.textExtraOffset = #'(-2.9 . +2.7)
      s4-0
    }
    \context Thread = tb {
      \property Thread.textExtraOffset = #'(-2.9 . +3.4)
      s4-1
    }
    \context Thread = tc {
      \property Thread.textExtraOffset = #'(-2.9 . +7.7)
      s4-4
    }

  }

| jeff covey [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://pobox.com/~jeff.covey/ 410-669-4926 |
|         microsoft gives you windows... linux gives you the whole house.    |