On Saturday, 20 November 1999, Tim Nowaczyk writes:

> on paper.  Lilypond is also trying to be context free as well.  So in 4/4
> time, for example, I should be able to type
>       | c1. r2 |

What's the real advantage of this over

     | c1 ~ | c2 r |

?
To some extent, I like the fact that you get what you ask for, eg
take the (to some dreaded) dotted rest issue.  Want dotted rets
(eg for a 6/8 meter), enter

    r4.

Want a quarter and an eight rest, use

    r4 r8

> and it would show on paper as
>       | c1( | )c2 r2 |
> Like I said, this is a wish list.  I see a big problem with this.  What
> about ...
>       | c1 ( | ) c16 r16 r8 r4 |
> A new symbol waould need to be introduced to do this easly i.e.
>       |c1+16 r16 r8 r4 |
> This would solve both problems that I have mentioned.  I realize this

Don't understand this.  You do know about the tie symbol ~?
Have you seen the tutorial

  http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/input/tutorial/out-www/index.html

or reference manual, ftm?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/