On Sunday, 21 November 1999, Tim Nowaczyk writes:

>    If I understand "context free" then notes are simply notes, and the
> software should all formatting, or the user should tell the software which
> formating to use (dotted rests vs. r4 r8 as an example).  Then there is
> uniformity in the piece of music if, for example, a group of people are
> entering music and the publisher wants the music with dotted rests, then
> it takes one change.  Notes, when taken out of their contexts, don't have
> ties.  A certain note is held for 5 beats.  When you say "we're in 3/4
> time" then the one note becomes c3~c2.

Sure, Lily doesn't do this but it could be done.  It seems like the Right
to do, so that you can cut'n paste and shift pieces of music.

>    I did not know the ~ command when I wrote the previous e-mail, so
> thanks for pointing that out to me.  I am not saying I am displeased with
> the software.  It's awesome.  I can type stuff into this much faster than
> any GUI typesetter I've used.  I was actually going to start work on a

Thanks.  May I ask (we were asked for an article in wideopen news just
last week) what gui software have you used (I haven't really used any)?

> project VERY simmilar to lilypond until I stumbled upon this website 3
> months ago.  (Thanks for ruining my coding fun :) ).  When I have some
> free time (ie this summer) I'll have to help you guys out.

Hoping you live on the southern hemisphere,
Greetings,

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/