> > One disadvantage is that I find the user interface quite ugly,
> > both that you have to write LISP code and that you specify the
> > distance from the midpoint of the staff. I'd actually find it
> > most intuitive to specify the minimum extra vertical extent
> > measured from the top/bottom staff line (not relative to the
> > top/bottom item as you get with XXXExtraVerticalExtent).
>
> That is unfortunately not very convenient. What to do if there are
> less stafflines, or if there is no staff symbol at all?

How about

internalXXXYYYVerticalExtent = userXXXYYYVerticalExtent +
  (numberOfStaffLines-1)/2 * staffspace

Simple enough?

> Second, I don't think that the LISP code is going away anytime soon.
> On the contrary, we'll be seeing more  of it, I think.

OK, I guess you already know my opinion on this choice. :-(

I thought of volounteering to fix the user manual, but this
is actually one of the main reasons that I'm hesitating,
since I don't really see how to present this user interface
in a pedagogical way (yet I've actually worked professionally
with LISP programming some years ago).

   /Mats