> Hello,
>
> > >[dynamics font problem while using v.1.2.17, mktexpk crashes on it]

The problem is not mktexpk or the teTeX installation, but that
you have not properly told teTeX where to find the source files
for the font. This could be done several ways:

1. Setting the MFINPUTS variable, see
   lilypond-1.x.xx/buildscripts/lilypond-login.sh
   The disadvantage is that TeX might generated
   the font files in the current directory instead
   of in the global font repository, depending on the
   configuration of your teTeX.

2. Linking or copying the lilypond .mf files into
   (one of) the ordinary teTeX file tree(s).
   This is described im the Lilypond FAQ list.
   From your search results below, I guess the
   proper directory on your system would be something
   like /usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/lilypond/
   Don't forget to run 'texhash'/'mktexlsr'!
   If you install from a RPM, I think this will be
   handled automatically. I don't actually know what
   Lilypond's 'make install' does, I have never used it.

> [attempt to upgrade lilypond to version 1.3.51]
> > > ly2dvi crashes during the latex process, saying that the "\theheader" and
> > > "\thefooter" were not defined.
> >
> > It looks like you still have some leftovers from lilypond-1.2 installed.
> > Try to find the file titledefs.tex, do
> >
> >    locate titledefs.tex,
> > or
> >    find / -name titledefs.tex
>
> that gives me:
>
> /usr/local/share/lilypond/tex/titledefs.tex
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/oldlilypond/titledefs.tex
> /data/downloads/lilypond-1.2.17/tex/titledefs.tex
> /data/downloads/lilypond-1.3.30/tex/titledefs.tex
> /data/downloads/lilypond-1.3.51/tex/titledefs.tex
>
> I forgot about the "oldlilypond" directory... but I guess that that should
> not matter. Well, let's try. It looks like half a year ago or so I copied
> all lilypond directories to 'oldlilypond' directories. After removing
> those completely and reinstalling 1.3.52.... ly2dvi works! Apparently it
> is not safe to store saves in some tex directory, even with an 'old'
> prefix (they will still end up in the ls-R file). Hard lesson.

Yes, TeX searches all files below TEXMF/tex/.
The command 'texdoc TETEXDOC' should provide more
information if you want understand what happens.
'kpsewhich titledefs.tex' will tell you which file
will be used. Also, once 'kpsewhich feta-din10.mf'
gives you a reasonable answer, your mktexpk problems
will be solved.

  /Mats