Automatic phrasing relies on knowing which voice the lyrics are associated
with in order to know which notehead to align the lyrics to. It does this by
comparing the names of the Voice contexts with the names of the LyricVoice
contexts up to the first '-'. Thus LyricVoice "VA-2" goes with Voice "VA",
etc.

When these don't match, automaticPhrasing does all sorts of stupid things.
I'm working on a better way of handling this situation that gives more
reasonable results ... expect it soon. In the meantime, make sure your
LyricVoice contexts match one of your Voice contexts. Even when I fix the
handling of other situations this will still give you better results.

> Secondly, in the attached file, the first verse gives all
> sorts of strange
> errors, and doesn't display properly.  This is true
> regardless of which
> verse I place first, so it's not a typo in the verse.  I can
> fix this by
> changing the names of the LyricVoice's to something other
> than VA-etc, but
> then I don't get the phrasing.  It looks like the answer to
> this problem is
> closely related to the answer to the first question.

Indeed it is. Try changing your voice contexts to "soprano-1", "soprano-2",
etc. Then Lily will align the lyrics to the noteheads in voice "soprano".

> Thanks for all the wonderful work on lily!
> --
> David Roundy
> http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/

Glen.