> > -------------------|------------------------------------
> > ----------B-L-A-H--|------------------------------------
> > -------------------|------------------------------------
> >
> > 6      9     8   5    6 (6)  7   ...
> >                  2           #
> -------yhs

initially let me point out that the above sample is not mine but
produced by Dvid Chan at the start of the current thread.

>                                ^
>                                This is a dominant seventh
>                                chord in a key that would
>                                normally make the chord
>                                minor, e.g., D7 not Dm7
>                                in key of C major.

baroque thorough bass doesn't contain any functional harmony
information. It's solely a way of representing the building of chords
upon a bass note.

>                ^
>                This was just not done. No 8's in
>                figured bass, ever.

you're wrong. In this example (which is quite common) the digit 8 is
there to signify the resolution of the preceding 9th dissonance
represented by the digit 9. Similarily you'll often see the digit 3
(normally silently implied) following the digit 4 to signify the
resolution of the suspended fourth.

> So how did you do the slash through the 5 to indicate an
> augmented 5th? Or through the 7th to indicate a maj7?

in my own typesettings I didn't but in stead used the convention of
representing the augmentation by a trailing #.

--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus