Matt Armstrong wrote:

> I don't want my personal finance package to be another Emacs.  But,
> frankly, I don't know enough about what you're doing to make a
> judgement call.  I don't know enough about the benefits.
>
> I am not against scheme as an extension language.  I think it is a
> better extension language than tcl/perl/python would be.

I for one would LIKE a Python scripting system.  :)  Not as a necessity,
but it sure would be nice if it were there.  It would be useful for
those of us who just don't like those LISP-like functional languages.

> > > 2) Get GnuCash working well under lesstif.  I'm interested in doing
> > >    this because it is the shortest path towards me getting a working
> > >    GUI.  (I don't care about GTK or Themes or Gnome.  I think Motif
> > >    support will remain important for a long time to come, if only for
> > >    portability reasons.)
> >
> > Honestly, I think that GTK+ ought to be MUCH more of a priority than
> > Motif.
>
> I agree about GTK+.
>
> But GnuCash now depends Gnome stuff, not just GTK+.  A Gnome install
> is a big undertaking.

NO!  NO!  NO!  I don't understand why you think Gnome is significantly
worse than GTK+.  About the only thing more that you need by depending
on Gnome is ORBit, and Gnome-libs, right?  Seriously, this is very
little added overhead compared to just the base GTK+ and Glib.  Other
parts of Gnome (gnome-core, etc) are completely unnecessary for here.

> I'm not sure what GnuCash gets from depending on Gnome and not just
> GTK+.  Anyone?

Much prettier dialogs.  :)  Many helper functions.  The potential for
CORBA integration on the Gnome side, making it possible to tie in with
other applications (Gnumeric, etc.).  I'm sure that there are other
reasons but that is a start.