Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Matt Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I don't want my personal finance package to be another Emacs.  But,
> > frankly, I don't know enough about what you're doing to make a
> > judgement call.  I don't know enough about the benefits.
>
> If nothing else, I just want things like this (this is psuedo-code,
> not to be taken too seriously):
>
>   (gnc:bind-key 'class:text-cell "C-a"
>     (lambda (cell)
>       (text-cell:move-to-start cell)))
>
>   (gnc:add-hook-func gnc:*save-file*
>     (lambda (account-group file-name)
>       (gnc:send-mail "somehost.somewhere.org"
>                      (lambda (gnc:text-export account-group)))))
>
> Stuff like that...<snip>
>
> Then given a sufficently flexible guile level menu manipulation
> system, these snippets, if they prove useful, could easily be
> incorporated into the main app, or just traded among interested
> parties for their ~/.gnucash/config.user files.

I must admit that my first reaction when seeing this was "yeah, but I
don't want my personal finance package to be another Emacs."

Why?

Well, as a prospective user of the program, I don't really care if my
personal finance program is another Emacs.  I just don't want to know
about it.  What I really want is a package full featured enough so
that I don't feel I'm losing too badly by switching away from Quicken.
I have not missed the lack of a scripting language in Quicken.

As a prospective developer though, I'm not interested in dealing in
the extra effort involved with the kinds of customizability you're
talking about.  It makes the program harder to docuent, debug and test
since the guts of it are opened up for everyone to touch and
manipulate.  I am much more interested in working on a program without
a scripting language.  Maybe this program is not GnuCash.

So those are my thoughts.  They are just the impressions of one guy,
so I wouldn't put a lot of weight behind them.

--
matt