Dave Peticolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Speaking of which, when I moved to guile 1.3.4, I lost my nice
> readline interface in using the guile interpreter.  Is there
> something you need to do to turn it back on?

They've moved it out to a separate module in response to GPL issues.
There's a way to turn it on, but in the Debian packages at least, it
doesn't currently work.  I believe I filed a bug a while back.

The docs are in the NEWS file, which says:

  ** Readline support has changed again.

  The old (readline-activator) module is gone.  Use (ice-9 readline)
  instead, which now contains all readline functionality.  So the code
  to activate readline is now

      (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
      (activate-readline)

  This should work at any time, including from the guile prompt.

  To avoid confusion about the terms of Guile's license, please only
  enable readline for your personal use; please don't make it the
  default for others.  Here is why we make this rather odd-sounding
  request:

  Guile is normally licensed under a weakened form of the GNU General
  Public License, which allows you to link code with Guile without
  placing that code under the GPL.  This exception is important to some
  people.

  However, since readline is distributed under the GNU General Public
  License, when you link Guile with readline, either statically or
  dynamically, you effectively change Guile's license to the strict GPL.
  Whenever you link any strictly GPL'd code into Guile, uses of Guile
  which are normally permitted become forbidden.  This is a rather
  non-obvious consequence of the licensing terms.

  So, to make sure things remain clear, please let people choose for
  themselves whether to link GPL'd libraries like readline with Guile.

--
Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930