It's been rumoured that Christopher Browne said:
> c) By virtue of being different, it encourages the decoupling of
>    front end from back end, which is Highly Desirable.

OK, you convinced me.  Its a good idea.
Note, though, the 'engine' is already mostly (I want to say 'completely')
decoupled from the 'persistance model' (aka file format or sql back end).

The engine should be able to trivially support the
transaction-per-directory data persistance model.

The engine may need extensions to handle random access to stored
data (e.g. to pull out onlyu a small subset of sql records). Although,
come to think of it, if the 'Query' object is used consistently by the
GUI, (and I think it is) then tweaking shouldn't be necessary.
Although, reqalisitcally, tweaks will probably be needed.

--linas