>> > I'm not sure I agree with making the scroll bars disappear. That could
>> > cause some wierd effects with either showing or hiding a partial
>> > transaction, or causing the window to resize a lot as the scroll bar
>> > gets shown/hidden. Gnumeric, for instance, has scroll bars shown
>> > all the time.
>>
>> Then at least the scroll bars should go inactive, i. e. be greyed out.

Dave> I can't find any programs that work this way. Even XEmacs has
Dave> active scrollbars when they're not needed. Does this really
Dave> affect usability in any way?

yeah, I saw that on XEmacs today, too.  rats.....  ;-)

maybe this is not that important, and should be put off until other
usability things are addressed.  i know that my horizontal scroll bars
will be completely useless as soon as the "column width state" and the
"register not wider than the sum of the widths of the columns"
problems are fixed.

rob