Rob Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> recurring transactions would still be nice, since when we open our
> gnucash after a week or so, the "recurring transactions" timer would
> fire, and would say, "would you like to enter your paycheck now?"
> and then it would enter a paycheck, with the
> autofilled-and-close-to-accurate transaction in it.  the options on
> the dialog could be "yes, remind me later, never"

I'm thinking of something very similar.  I want the initial "dumbed
down" version to just as you said.  When you fire the app up is when
things can happen.

Later, if it turns out to be feasable, I want a way to make this more
real-time so you can have things happen when you're not around and you
can have triggers that can fire when "specified things happen".  For
example, I want it so that you can set things up so that a rent
payment transaction is automatically entered at midnight once a month
(perhaps because you know you've set up automatic bill payment with
some institution).  Then I also want you to be able to specify a
"trigger" that'll send you email (or pages you, or whatever) whenever
your balance goes negative.  This is the kind of example where the
"automatic transactions just happen the next time I sit down and run
gnucash" model doesn't work.

Anyway, as I said, I'm hopefully going to come up with a simple
proposal for comments soon.

Oh, and I've got the code for the gnucash remote listener (REPL)
working standalone.  Now I just have to integrate it.

--
Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930