G'day Hubert,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 11:29:51AM +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> How hard would it be to allow the stock ticker to fetch the stock price in
> USD (any currency), convert to the account currency and compute the real
> price ?

Tricky.  The stock-ticker fetches stock quotes in the currency of the
exhcange which they come from (ie, AUD for the ASX, Euros for
Yahoo! Europe, and USD for everything else).  It then updates the
price of that stock to the value it fetched.

It doesn't do any currency conversion when entering the values into
GnuCash.  This means that even though a quote from NASDAQ will be in
USD, it won't check to make sure that your account is listed in
USD.  This is probably a bug -- I'll see what I can do about it.
It is mentioned in the most recent documentation.

In order for the ticker to take a value in one currency and convert
it to another, it would need to know the current trading rates between
those two currencies.  AFAIK there is nothing in GnuCash that does
currency conversions, but I may be wrong.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

Having something which can fetch currency data and update things in
GnuCash accordingly sounds like a good idea.  I'll see what I can
do about this.  I'm going to find myself in a similar situation
if I ever invest in US markets.  (I want to know everything in
Australian Dollars.)

Cheers,

        Paul