On 21 Apr 2000 20:39:43 CDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> Lauren writes:
> > I'm not familliar with sinking funds, but what makes them a bit different
> > from a book entry like depreciation (also somewhat virtual) is that they
> > are happening with real accounts that need to be reconciled against an
> > outside statement.
>
> I don't see that.  While the purpose of a sinking fund may be to pay off
> some bonds in ten years and there may even exist a legal obligation to have
> it, the funds being transferred to it now have nothing to do with any
> outside statement.
>
> A sinking fund to pay off some bonds is pretty much the same thing as
> saving up to pay off the balloon payment on the morgage.
>
> When you transfer funds to your "Savings Goal" or your "Sinking Fund" you
> are transferring funds from one asset account to another.  Just credit
> 'Cash' and debit 'Savings Goals:Honeymoon'.

The problem with proceeding to credit Cash and debit "Savings Goal" is
that this invalidates any reconciliation of Cash.  I'd be game to do
this if I credited not Cash, but rather "Cash:Goals", a subaccount of
Cash that can be ignored when it needs to be,

For different purposes, I will want both to consider and ignore these
"funds reservations."

a) When making up a _budget_, I care about what funds are reserved for
   particular purposes.

b) When trying to figure out if my bank account is going to be overdrawn,
   "reserved" funds are _irrelevant._

I would thus suggest that the "gentle user" use the budget system to
manage this rather than having these be "true" transactions in the ledger.
--
"...Deep   Hack  Mode--that  mysterious   and  frightening   state  of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread." -- Matt Welsh