John> Bill Gribble writes:

>> Why is that?  We are improving gnucash, putting it into a box, and
>> providing support and a printed manual.  All the development we do
>> on gnucash is and will be GPL.

John> The market appears to be for a personal finance program, so I
John> assume that gnucash development will be focused even more in
John> that direction.  That's fine, but I need small business
John> accounting.  It seems that small businesses mostly use whatever
John> their accountants tell them to, which is to say whatever Windows
John> program their accountant sells.  I don't have an accountant and
John> I don't have Windows: I'm weird.

and you know what is worse?  I am looking at gnucash as a way to get
my family off of quicken.  For some reason I think that gnucash is
focused too much on the non-personal finances, unless you want to do
double entry accounting for your finances.  (which I don't, or at
least don't think that I do.)  Maybe the manual which was mentioned is
the answer that I am looking for which will help me to understand how
I should be using this application.  That would be nice.

I know I am quite naive on this sort of thing, but I wonder what "the
market" would have done if glade had been used to build a framework
for this application, with someone going click by click through
quicken or mym.  I know that those apps are lacking, and that gnucash
does things right where the other ones do them wrong, but does that
matter to the users (I know it does to the developers?)

rob

--
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.  Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the