Linas Vepstas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Sooo (sound of lightbulb turning on) isn't the right way to import
> QIF files is to run them through a reconcile-like dialogue?

That's a great idea for the "last step" of *some* QIF imports.  I think
the most common usage of the QIF importer is still a mass import from
old Quicken records, which doesn't need such a reconciliation step.

However, as you point out, downloading short snippets of QIF from the
bank is a pretty common operation, and for this case we need a way of
comparing the transactions that are being imported with
already-existing transactions so as to match up QIF imported ones with
ones you entered from your checkbook.

> Anyone out there using gnucash and also looking at thier bank-staements
> on-line?  What do y'all think?

I'd be interested to hear a more detailed description of how that
might work.  It seems like you would still need the step of mapping
QIF accounts to GNUcash accounts, but would just add a "pruning"
dialog which would let you match a QIF transaction with an existing
GNUcash transaction or just import it if you hadn't entered that
transaction by hand.

Bill Gribble