[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Its not just 'matching them up', its also marking them as 'tentatively
> cleared' in the reconcile dialog.

I think this should be a separate step from the import.  It makes
sense to store information with a transaction indicating "we've seen
this in a bank download", but I don't think that should actually have
an effect on the "cleared" status of the transaction until the REAL
reconcile window comes up.

The problem is that opening/closing balances for reconciliation
periods should be "sacred"; if you are reconciling once a month from
your bank statement, nothing you do in between should affect the
"Cleared Balance" that results from doing the monthly reconcile;
otherwise, your statement "opening balance" won't match up with
gnucash's "cleared balance".

> Basically, since the qif is 'just like' a paper statement one got
> from the bank, it should be treated the same way (but automated).

I don't think it's that clear.  Yes, we should take whatever
information we have from imported QIF files, but I'm not sure it
neatly fits into the existing framework for reconciliation, which is a
matter of making your gnucash records match up with the bank's on a
periodic and complete basis, rather than an intermittent and
fragmentary basis.

> More generically, I was looking at the reconcile window as 'a place to
> review changes before they are made permanent', which one might even be
> interested in having when doing mass-imports of raw data.

I guess this is what I disagree with... reconciling is a
clearly-defined concept, and it just muddies the water to mix it up
with generic integration of information from the bank.

IMO the dialog you need to meaningfully integrate QIF snippets is very
different from the account reconcile window.  In the reconcile window,
you are just checking off transactions that you have entered; in the
"snippet incorporate" window, you are confirming and modifying the
results of some VERY fuzzy matching rules which look at your account
and try to find transactions matching the ones you are importing.

b.g.