On 16 May 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:

> "Jon A. Christopher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I'm not using gnucash's double-entry features.  Perhaps that'd be the best
> > solution---if using single-entry, use the informal meanings of
> > credit/debit, and if you're doing double entry, use the formal ones.  Or
> > just punt and call the columns "funds in" and "funds out" ;)
>
> We've been discussing whether to eliminate the option of "single
> entry" completely.  Presumably this would inconvenience you :) Can you
> describe what it is that keeps you from using the default (double
> entry) mode of operation of gnucash?  If you can explain it, maybe we
> can fix whatever it is that's a barrier to you.
>
> Bill Gribble

Eliminating single-entry would be a mistake IMHO.  Who wants to learn a
new system of accounting just to balance their checkbook?  Not me.  I'm a
programmer and geek, but for some things, I just want to use the bloody
software, not become one with it.  I'm sure I could figure out the
double-entry system, but I don't really want to go to extra effort for
something as trivial as money after all.  Gnucash as it is right now
(except for the unfortunate column names) is perfect for people who just
want to balance their checkbook.  I know it'll do much more, and more is
planned, but that's not functionality I'm currently interested in.  Don't
most programs start out in the simplest mode of operation, and then allow
users to optionally add complexity?  I think that's the best way for
gnucash to go, certainly not the route of removing the simpler mode of
operation! If gnucash goes entirely double-entry, I'll probably just not
upgrade from the current version (which would be unfortunate), and if
serious bugs manifest themselves, I'd probably go with another program.
Please don't remove the single-entry mode!

Regards,
Jon

--
Dr. Jon A. Christopher              / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |  Project URLs:
Department of Biochem./Biophys.    /  spock: http://quorum.tamu.edu/spock