On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Randolph Fritz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:11:20AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > Commodities are counted. That, by definition, means that they are
> > represented by an integer. If you must use a rational, the denominator is
> > always unity.
>
> Unless they're sold by the foot--like lumber, fabric and wire, the
> pound--like nails, iron, and sugar, or the gallon--like milk and gasoline.

That is not COUNTING. That is MEASURING and PRICING.

And by the time the transaction gets past the cash register, that measure has
been converted to a countable quantity.

Besides, "milk" and "sugar" are poor examples. They are seldom sold by the
gallon (pound) but rather by the "container". And the price of two
"half-gallon containers of milk" is not the same as that of "one one-gallon
container of milk". Please go to the store and purchase 1/3 gallon of milk
for me.

> > Remember that we count CENTS and not DOLLARS. The fact that you choose to
> > represent a large sum of CENTS by the equivalent DOLLAR amount is an
> > artifact of the display rather than anything intrinsic to the counting
> > process.
>
> Well, we may...but banks count hundreths of a cent.

Not in my bank account. The balance is ALWAYS an exact multiple of one cent.
Even when I earn $1.5748 in interest each month, those fractional cents NEVER
accumulate to give me that additional cent.

Besides, if you can find a ledger that records hundreths of a cent, then you
simply denominate it in that "smallest countable unit".

> I think you are trying to find mathematical perfection in commerce,
> and I have some doubt of the enterprise.

Then you have never dealt with bookkeeping. There is certainly roundoff in
the computation of what a transaction will be. But the books show the EXACT
amount recorded for the transaction.

I assure you that EVERY accounting ledger I have seen records COUNTABLE
amounts of the commodity in question, particularly when that commodity is
money.