Richard Wackerbarth writes:
> Besides, "milk" and "sugar" are poor examples. They are seldom sold by
> the gallon (pound) but rather by the "container".

Actually, milk is sold by the hundredweight (my neighbors are presently
complaining about the price).  Not sure about sugar.

> There is certainly roundoff in the computation of what a transaction will
> be. But the books show the EXACT amount recorded for the transaction.

Yes.  A bookkeeping system records actual transactions, not the product of
price and quantity.  Buy one share of Gnucash, Inc at 9-7/8 and your broker
will bill you something like $9.88 plus $11.00 commission, and that's what
you need to record.

I have inventoried commodities that were measured in fractions, but never
to more than two decimal places.

Now I get to deal with the fact that my coop accepts corn into storage by
the bushel and returns it to me by the pound.  Sort of like having your
bank report deposits in old pounds and withdrawals in new.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)