On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:39:36AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> That is not COUNTING. That is MEASURING and PRICING.
>
> And by the time the transaction gets past the cash register, that measure has
> been converted to a countable quantity.

hunh?  I mean, the last time I bought half a yard of fabric, the
cutter wrote half a yard on a slip, computed a price, and I took that
to the cash register.

> Besides, "milk" and "sugar" are poor examples. They are seldom sold by the
> gallon (pound) but rather by the "container". And the price of two
> "half-gallon containers of milk" is not the same as that of "one one-gallon
> container of milk". Please go to the store and purchase 1/3 gallon of milk
> for me.

Only at the retail level--gnucash is supposed to work for business,
too, no?

> Not in my bank account. The balance is ALWAYS an exact multiple of one cent.
> Even when I earn $1.5748 in interest each month, those fractional cents NEVER
> accumulate to give me that additional cent.

According to my banking consultant friend, the major US banks he
worked for (Chase, Manufacturers Hanover, Citibank) did all their
dollar computations to four decimals of precision and rounded to two
for output; he mentioned GM as one of the customers whose accounts
this applied to.  Has the practice changed, then?

> Besides, if you can find a ledger that records hundreths of a cent, then you
> simply denominate it in that "smallest countable unit".

Perhaps then for money four decimal points of precision (if rounding
after every computation is to the nearest 1/10,000th) is sufficient?

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA