Alen,

Yes, I saw that.
IIUC the transaction that you're creating is between IPE and AUD. That will
cause trading account splits as they operate between any differing commodity
pair, not just between currencies.

I presume that you're working on the transaction in split view. In that view
GnuCash's automatic price conversion is turned off so it's to the user to enter
values (in the split's commodity) and amounts (in the transaction currency)
that balance in the transaction currency. The example doesn't show shares or
price columns. If you're trying to create or edit the transaction in a currency
account where those aren't shown it can make getting the balance right
difficult so try switching to the IPE account to view the transaction. If it's
still confusing post the whole transaction showing all 4 columns (i.e. shares,
price, debit, and credit) and all splits including the trading account ones.

Aside from that you've overstated your return of capital. Consider the whole
cycle (AUD balance reflects the cash account so decreases with debit in the
stock account):

Description                             Shares  Price           Debit   Credit
Share Bal.      AUD
Buy ISE 100                             100             10              1000
                        100                     -1000
ISE Return of Capital
        500                                     - 500
Sell ISE 100 @ 10                       -100            10
        1000            0                         500
Buy ISE 100 @ 5                         100               5             500
                        100                     0

The return of capital changes the basis on its own, though I think the Advanced
Portfolio Report doesn't understand returns of capital and won't reflect the
change in basis. When you get around to really selling the ISE then when you
compute the capital gain you'll subtract the return of capital from the
original basis.

Regards,
John Ralls