System Preferences > Language & Region is where you can set first day of the
week. (I’m on Mojave)

But I see it has no effect on the calendar displayed in the Scheduled
Transaction editor. (not sure where else this would matter)

I’d have to ask (because I have Sunday as my first day and I don’t understand
the utility of changing it), how does not being able to change it impact your
use of GnuCash? What is more difficult by the day being set to Sunday? I really
mean this as a curiosity. Is it merely a matter of you’ve always seen calendars
start on Monday and it looks odd and sometimes hard to comprehend at a glance?

What parts of the app other than the Scheduled Transaction editor is this an
issue for?

Please note, the developer pool is small, their time is not infinite, and they
are all volunteers. (and I’d guess they all have day jobs) They have a roadmap
for prioritizing their time. If something is an annoyance but the app is still
usable, it is likely to be pushed to the back burner unless someone new decides
to jump in and help address it.