From that page it seems that they didn’t provide a means for setting first day
of the week.

A cursory search of how to set first day of the week to Monday using Gnome
(Ubuntu forums) explained to edit the /usr/share/i18n/locales file for your
locale and either edit or add the line:

first_weekday 2

to the LC_TIME section.

I tried on a whim copying this file with the above edit from my Ubuntu vm to
~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/gkt-3.0/ in my Mac filesystem but to no
avail. (maybe it needs a /locale subdirectory? does it even look here for such
a file?)

I also tried setting the Mac’s calendar (and GnuCash’s date) to ISO-8601 which
allegedly uses Monday=1, still no dice.

I’m not sure how GNOME users are getting their calendars to switch to Monday=1
unless GNOME doesn’t use GtkCalendar for that feature.

Looks like this is a GTK bug unless someone knows how to setup a custom locale
in MacOS for it.