> On 13 Aug 2019, at 09:13, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net>
> wrote:
>
> I spoke too soon.
>
> It turns out that GIMP has a date picker when editing meta data.
>
> It also does not honor the first day of week setting in MacOS preferences.
>
> So this is a problem with GTK, not just GnuCash.
>
> The question is then, can a proper locale file be stored by the user to
> override the default that will be seen and honored by GTK?
>
> After that, the question would be “Why are there so many locale files in
> GnuCash.app but only a few are selectable from within GnuCash and then
> apparently the obvious ones don’t have first_weekday set to ‘2’?"
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Aug 13, 2019, at 3:04 AM, Adrien Monteleone
>> <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:
>>
>> But I don’t think GnuCash is doing that. (telling the widget to draw a
>> calendar with first_weekday set to ‘Monday’) It is calling GtkCalendar() and
>> that widget doesn’t have a setting for defining the first day. Now, since it
>> seems to work on Ubuntu as another user reported, maybe the widget is
>> looking at the system locale, but something on MacOS is preventing that. (or
>> it isn’t even aware of the locale since it might have its own default)
>>
>> This is where I was headed when I tried to copy this custom locale file to
>> my user profile’s gtk-3.0 folder.
>>
>> However, I see now that GnuCash.app has a locale folder but the files there
>> seem to be encoded somehow and not plain text. I’ll have to check the
>> sources out to see what is really there. It could be those locale files are
>> not set to have first_weekday be ‘2’ and they are taking precedence.
>>
>> And yes, testing a different GTK app on a Mac would shed some light on if it
>> is possible. Unfortunately, I don’t think my other GTK apps have date
>> pickers or calendar widgets in use. Maybe someone else has such an app to
>> try.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2019, at 10:01 PM, John Morris <johnj...@editide.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Frank,
>>> Thank you for thinking about my little problem.
>>>
>>> I don't understand why we would assume this is a bug in GTK. If GnuCash
>>> tells GTK to create a calendar with Sundays as the first day of the week,
>>> it should obey. The problem is that some code is not looking at the locale
>>> setting on my computer. Since this is a completely new test build, I think
>>> I can rule out a corrupted operating system. Also, other date-aware
>>> applications are correctly picking the first day of the week.
>>>
>>> I guess a real test would be to find some other application that uses GTK
>>> to display calendars and see if it picks the correct first day of the week
>>> on my system. I'm not aware of any I could try.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> John

When I bring up the date-picker on GC 3.6 on my Mac OS X High Sierra, I get a
calendar widget with Monday as the first day of the week.

This is my preference, but I’m not sure if I ever set it up as such, other than
selecting UK in my locale options on the Mac.

Looking at the Mac Calendar App’s preferences, I see that that is set up as
Monday-first.

In System Preferences —> Language & Region, I also have “First day of week:
Monday”.

Gnucash —> Preferences doesn’t appear to have a first-day setting, but it picks
up the correct date format from Locale.

HTH

Michael