Samantha,

Next, some command-line testing. You can use CMD if you like, but I find
Powershell to be a bit friendlier and easier to get to: Just right-click in the
Start menu and it's in the middle. Once you have a shell, cd to C:\Program
Files (x86)\gnucash\bin.

First you'll need to set your ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY in the environment:
CMD
  set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY xxx...
Poweshell
  $Env:ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY = xxx...

Now test that you can retrieve an arbitrary currency pair:
  perl 'c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnc-fq-dump currency USD GBP

If that works then Finance::Quote is working correctly and something else is
going on. So far you've mentioned only currency rates, but the usual reason for
a system error message from online price retrieval is trying to get a stock
price from one of the dicontinued Yahoo! price sources. Do you have any
securities in your book? If you're unsure use Tools>Security Editor to show a
list of them.

Regards,
John Ralls