Samantha,

I'd prefer to keep everything on the list. I'm not regularly a Windows user and
someone who is might be able to chime in with more help.

I think you have a CMD shell there rather than a Powershell. Powershell would
color $Env:ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY bright green no matter what else you typed and
it puts a space between the prompt and your input. CMD doesn't color anything
and doesn't separate the prompt from the input with a space. To set an
environment variable in CMD you do
  SET ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY <your key>
making the obvious substitution. No quotes are needed, and the angle braces are
part of the substitution.

Regards,
John Ralls