1. Hover the mouse over the column separator to the right of the 'Total Credit' header (or 'Withdrawal' or other, if you are using informal labels) as this is the column just to the left of the Balance column

2. When you have the left-right mouse cursor, drag right. This *should* expand the Balance column. (there is another hidden column to the right of Balance, but it would be odd to be able to show it)

3. Grab the right-hand divider for the Description Column and drag it to the LEFT - more than you think you need to. It will snap back to the right, taking up only the space not assigned to the other columns.

This should also get rid of the horizontal scroll bar.

*note—register widths are *per account register*. If you are in the Checking account and set these widths, then open a different account, the same widths will *not* carry over. (the devs are working on this, but this is the current situation)